I love living in the South. We have had a nice long and full summer, it is still warm, and fall technically starts on Friday. I can stand this as fall as long as winter follows suit. It has been nice to have a bit more breezy weather so we can open our windows. Last night I slept with mine open...how I miss that! Though tragically I did not have the soothing sounds of 18-wheelers rumbling down I-465 to lull me to sleep it was nice to have the outside sounds and fresh air. Currently I'm enjoying the neighbors' jazz music floating through the window. :)
I also love working for a produce company that subsidizing my grocery bill considerably and provides a wide variety of fruits and veggies to take home each week. Most of my cooking adventures consist of me pulling everything out of the fridge, looking at it all, and attempting to use as much as I can in one dish in hope that I can cook it before it goes bad. Usually it end up in some sort of chicken-vegetable stir-fry with the spices as the fluctuating variable. Yesterday I sauteed a variation of red pepper, white onion, mushrooms, and tomatoes and served it on top of chicken breasts. Yum! Oh, it's so good.
Today was the day I finally got around to making my squash soup. My housemate Abby asked for the recipe to which I replied, "Um, I don't use recipes..." But she and Annie tried it once it was done and said it was good. I think it turned out well too. So here is the just formed recipe for those looking for a nice way to welcome in the new season of fall! All recipes are open to the individual interpretation of the chef and will probably turn out fine no matter how you mix it. Below is just what I did this time. It always changes!
Kat's Sweet Potato Squash Soup
1 Acorn squash
3 Good-sized sweet potatoes
1 Large white onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 T Olive Oil
1 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes (or use fresh, whatever is on hand)
1 15 oz. can of chicken broth
2 cups of milk (I used 1%)
Basil, Oregano, Salt, Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes
Wash all the veggies. Cut the squash in half and take out pulp and seeds. Cut into fourths and place in stock pot with 3" of water on med-hi. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut in large chucks and add to pot. When squash can be pierced with a fork remove from pot and cut off skin. Take out sweet potatoes and reserve veggie water.
Heat olive oil in pot and saute crushed garlic and diced onions about 5 min. Add squash, sweet potatoes, and veggie water and let cook on med for a while (sorry didn't look at the time... but this whole thing takes maybe 1.5 hours). Add tomatoes, salt (at least 1 t.), pepper, red pepper, basil (1 T.), and oregano (1 T.). Add about a cup of milk. When you're able, mash up the squash and sweet potato with potato masher. Test concoction and add more garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, and milk. Keep cooking to cook off some of the liquid.
When it tastes/looks good blend soup mixture in blender in about 2 cup increments. Add broth to each batch before blending. Return soup to pot for a final taste test. Blend in another 1/2 c. of milk to ensure creaminess. Serve immediately or allow to cool before transferring to containers. Freezes well. Makes....a lot. Enjoy!
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment