Monday, April 18, 2011

Avoiding or Refreshing?

In the midst of numerous things that seem to be obstacles blocking me from a smooth road in life arises the opportunity to go to Toronto this week for some much need friend time in one of the most wonderful spiritual atmospheres I know.

Growing up, as much of us agree, is only looked forward to with anticipation until one becomes 18 or perhaps 21, the two ages that scream "adulthood" whether or not they deliver on such promises. After this age, or even as we quickly approach them, we realize that growing up and gaining responsibility is actually rather daunting and who on earth would want to go there? While I have left the nest already, more than once in fact, I have been shielded from certain "adult" responsibilities until now. Now I am almost literally on my own with my own life to support in just about every way. The realization of this along with the transition of moving to another state has been a blow to establishment of denial in my mind that I am actually growing up. Oh, indeed time has not slowed. Much to the contrary here I am learning to take care of all the politics in life that have previously not been my concern. Boo hiss. This was my dream; to move away (and south if possible) from Indiana. But details tend to encroach on the "happily ever after" carefree spirit of traveling adventurer. If only others would take care of them for me! But alas, I must trade in at least a few pairs of my Penny Loafers in exchange for some big girl shoes. Hopefully, not too high in the heel.

So to address the first question...is this trip a much needed reprieve from the complicated web that moving, vehicle registration, insurance, and change of address forms creates or am I just jumping at the opportunity to avoid it all for a week? Answer: Yes. And I intend to enjoy myself while I'm at it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment