This past weekend I got to travel to Nashville to visit with friends and family. Lovely times all around...well, for the most part. The eight hour drive wasn't too bad aside from the speeding ticket I received three hours out of town - the first ever in my six-year driving career! OMG....not looking forward to paying that. "Is there a reason you are in such a rush?" "Oh, just have a long road trip ahead of me to see family." Yeah, you would have thought the guy would have had compassion on a poor (literally) girl like me who has to lean over the seat to manually roll down the passenger side window in order to converse with the cop. Oh well.
And another thing...even though I've lived in NC for three months now it always takes me aback when the person talking to me opens their mouth and out flows a heavy Southern accent. They almost sound fake to me, which makes me want to laugh, but if I did that there would, of course, be offense taken since they, of course, are not faking it. Perhaps I'm surrounded by so many foreigners in the office (British, Australian, Canadian, etc) that I have not been adequately immersed in the NC community/culture.
Gma's house was great but like always way too many desserts and tempting treats. Each time I go I hope that I have grown in self-control enough that I can just say "no." Sadly, that hasn't happened yet, but it's coming, hallelujah. :) I did decline taking any brownies home with me...guess that would follow "what happens at Gma's, stays at Gma's." haha. We watched the NY fireworks which were impressive albeit on TV as well as some from the back porch that the neighbors shot off just for us. How blessed I am to live in such a wonderful country!
Friends and Family: yes, I love them. And I love Nashville. Driving to one of my friend-dates I got to go downtown which was a treat in and of itself; I have missed working there! Catching up with everyone was great but more than just talking about what has been going on, God spoke through every one of them (though they may not have known it!) giving me advise, words of wisdom and admonition, and the encouragement that I needed. I was blown away. And I felt like I need to be scribbling everything they said in a notebook though that may have looked a little odd. So, while it wasn't fun saying good-bye and leaving everyone again, I have come back refreshed; filled up with love, hope, and determination; freer; and challenged. Amazing what one week with loved ones (and God) can do for you!
Tip: chocolate covered pomogranate seeds (from Costco) are outstanding.
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment