Friday, October 10, 2014

Life with Humans

Interesting the power of words, yeah? Be careful, little mouths, what you say. Words have power and even muttered ones are heard. When I was finishing up my time in Spain, I voiced that I never wanted to travel by myself again. My time there was great in so many ways, some hard to explain, but it was also extremely difficult mainly going about on my own. 

Then I start planning this venture and while most of my stops are with people I know and love the traveling bit was going to be by myself, which when noticed I wondered why I was putting myself through that again. Buuuuuttt, then Mom joined two weeks of my trip and Kristen is about to jump on the last part. Yay, God! Thank you for listening to my mutters and for orchestrating traveling companions when I didn't even ask! He knows us better than we know ourselves. And people are a good thing to have around. :)

Which brings us to now. Because of schedules I have a couple days to myself... not too bad in the grand scheme, and being a cautious (when traveling) introvert (when not around those I already know) I was curious to know how things were going to play out aka how bored of myself I was going to get.

My first stop in Belfast (after dropping the luggage) was the City Hall where there was a quote from Bill Clinton and many by the city itself touting how friendly and warm the people of Belfast are. At the end of a guided tour of the Hall, the amusing chap leading the group said that if we had a lousy time in Belfast it was all our fault because the people are friendly and grand. lol. I found all this especially interesting because as I was first walking about - and trying to exercise my discernment gift - I felt like the city was a little drab, as if there was a slight heaviness hanging about. 

So what were my findings? Well! Let me tell you this has been one of the most interactive days I've had with locals (that I didn't already know) that I think I've ever had. *cue applause please* Now that might not be saying much for some, but as mentioned before I'm a rather introverted traveler... quite unlike my mother who will chat to anyone. Crazy, if you know her but it's true, but for another time. :)

Encounter 1: Walking around the City Hall I was snapping pictures like a good tourist with a camera does and I see another camera toting pedestrian. I'm expecting a nice head nod of recognition between photographers but instead he stops me and asks if I'm a tourist. How could you tell?! lol. Of course I said yes and he said he was with "Humans of Belfast" quite like "Humans of New York" which is huge (if you don't know it, go look it up and be amazed again at God's diverse creation), but in Northern Ireland. Anyway, I went with it and we chatted and he finally asked what advice I'd give to the world. "When it gets down to it, it's all about people. Take time just to be and don't find your identity in what you do. It's about being who you are. It's hard but we need to learn to give ourselves the permission to just sit. Be with people, and be yourself." 

So be on the lookout, I may just get famous by getting posted on "Humans of Belfast" courtesy of Alastair. haha

Encounter 2: Wandering around and figuring out if there were any streets more enticing than another I saw a church that had nice architecture so I headed that way. I pass a security guard in front of a drive and he gives the standard, "Hello" of Northern Ireland - because not many people do the head nod here. They actually greet you. Crazy, this thing called manners! - but then he starts asking all these questions. Touring? Yes. Where from? The States. Oh, my cousin owns a lot of land in New York and is a millionaire and held office. Have you visited? Yeah, and he owns a horse ranch, and my other cousin lives in California and ..... Have a great trip! 

Fabulous chap. When I passed he was singing to himself. Glad I could give him someone to talk to if only briefly.

Encounter 3: I walked to the TItanic Quarter and saw the Nomadic (fitting name for me to see) and then was going to check the times to the TItanic museum but got stopped by a guy who asked if I was a tourist and if I would help him with a survey. Suuuuurre, what else do I have going on? Humorously, it was mainly about shopping, of which Belfast has a lot, but also of which I have not partaken of, nor do I have the inclination or means to do so. Whenever I do surveys like this I always feel like I'm screwing the results cuz I'm not quite like the "typical" population, whatever that is. But aside from the survey we had a nice chat about America (he's been to 30 states), its enormity, and travel in general. He grew up going to Virginia Beach about every year and likes the East Coast, but his upcoming honeymoon will be a two week venture throughout California. 

I'm about to start feeling like I host "Humans of Belfast".

Encounter 4: Heading back to town, I stop at The Dock Cafe, which is one of those that doesn't have prices and you just drop what you think you ought to pay in the "honesty box". The lovely lady we stayed with in Castlerock this week told us about the minister that started the cafe and said I should pop in if I got the chance. I asked for a coffee, a nice cup of Ethiopian drip coffee, a beautiful not-from-granules cup of coffee. Praise Jesus! It was delicious. I grabbed a chair and noticed some flyers about their "chat with someone" program and the lady at the table across had a name badge. Their slogan was "don't sit alone" and while I didn't need to talk about suicide or abuse which is totally optional I figured I'd take her up on the offer. I asked if she was a "chatter" (lol) and we had a wee chat about the place and my travel and how she got involved with The Dock etc. Though I only learned a little of Miss Diane's story I know she is an admirable woman, one that I'd love to learn from. She also introduced me to a few others in the cafe and I learned about a market going on tomorrow I think I'll check out.

Each encounter was a nice interruption to my endless walking and left me with a smile on my face. Just talking with people! Life is about others, and others are what makes it fun, worthwhile, and exciting. Thus, I have concluded I must agree with the City Hall of Belfast and Mr. Bill Clinton that the people of Belfast are some of the friendliest around. 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment