So, I'm not in Rome, but I am in what was once a Roman fortress, Caerleon. Walking around town you literally run into ruins of the ancient baths, the amphitheater, one set of the barracks, and of course, the wall. At the amphitheater I read that every year they celebrated the birthday of the legion which just so happens to be September 23. That would be today. Crazy. To think that several hundred years ago I would be amongst a throng of people cheering at a killing match as sport. Don't know how I feel about that...
There is so much history here it's enough to blow my mind. I find it fascinating, though sadly it's not all sticking. One of my fabulous hosts is a real history buff and Welsh to the core taking pride (which isn't a strong enough word) in learning and sharing all about the history of the town, country, and everyone tied to it.
Wales is beautiful. That is what I've learned. It's history. It's nature. It's life.
No comments:
Post a Comment