Why hellloooooo... I think I'm having a hard time remembering or realizing quite where I am. I'm American; we've read since "History" was added to the course requirements in elementary school about the course of civilization (and how we came to live where we do) from Mesopotamia to Rome to Europe, and then finnnaally contained in the blip at the end of the line, to America. It is incredible the amount of history that has taken place in any part of Europe that has then impacted the rest of the world. I walk past buildings older than my nation - these fortunate and delightful people LIVE with such history right next to them. The juxtaposition of old and new living in harmony is something that makes my heart so happy. It makes my imagination whir thinking about those that came before and walked these same streets and did this or that and simply lived life even as I am right now.
Will those after us contemplate our existence as well? Will there be museums about us; monuments at our birthplace, childhood home, and/or death house; or festivals celebrating how we added flavor and meaning to our culture? Perhaps we won't be as well known and adored as Jane Austin or Abraham Lincoln, but our lives are not insignificant. Tonight my friends and I watched Meet The Robinsons, a funny and cute animated movie about the power of family and the importance found in the motto "Keep Moving Forward". May we always remember to support the ones we love and always keep moving forward knowing that we can make a difference in the lives we touch everyday. You never know how the effect may snowball and change the course of history. Maybe another young (or old, we don't have to be biased here) traveler will be walking down a street one day with your name on it. :)
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment