Sunday, October 9, 2011

Right Where I Need to Be

In a consumerist, always-looking-for-the-next-best-thing society in which I find myself living, it is easy to continually search for the quick solution to every problem, shying away from hardships and anything that hints of bringing discomfort. We would much rather remember and recite, "For God so loved the world..." than, "in this world, you will have troubles." We were promised that we would face hardships, so how did we get sucked into the false theology that when we become Christians life becomes a breeze and if it's not than it's our fault or we are doing something wrong or we need to try something else? 

The Bible is full of stories of faithful and righteous people who have to go through the hard times. Some even had the same questions we often voice in the midst of trials. The key to point out is that we are going through the hard times; we will soon be on the other side of them! If you go through it, then sooner or later you will get past it. Good news, right?! The thing is, this does require a thing or two; namely perseverance.
Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, need nothing.         ~James 1:2-4
When is the last time I rejoiced in my suffering? I guess from time to time I look at hard situations and give them to God saying, "Have your way, Lord. Please make something good come out of this," but how much rarer is it for others to come along side and rejoice with me in my suffering? Sadly, I find they are more likely to encourage me to get out of whatever unpleasant circumstance is causing irritation. I don't blame them; they love me, but is it for the best? God is more concerned about our growth rather than our comfort, correct? 

 My boss says, "the safest place to be is in God's will." How glorious to know this for real! No matter what is going on around you, there is such immense peace and assurance when you know you are where you are meant to be, that you are acting in the center of God's will and purpose for your life. And I praise God that I have this assurance, I know I am right where I'm supposed to be. Though life doesn't really look like how I anticipated it to look like at this point, I know this to be true: I'm on the right track. And God has been faithful to tell me this multiple times, several times in the past few weeks and even once before I even got here! Wow, talk about preparation! He is a good God. When all else fades, He remains. He turns ashes into beauty. And He loves me too much to leave me this way. He sees me beautiful.


Peace.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment