Tuesday, February 5, 2013

What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

The glorious question as a child becomes the dreaded question of many undecided teenagers and young adults. Even not-as-young adults who have still to answer the question to their satisfaction. Oh, dear. What DO I want to BE when I grow up? What does it even MEAN to "grow up"? Have I grown up or is there still some "growing" to be had? ...

This week we are hosting many of the Catch The Fire pastors from around the world (mostly North America since the travel is shorter for them) and being the amazing office worker that I am, I was privileged to be on transport duty some of yesterday. On one drive, my passenger candidly asks this loaded question. Duh, duh, dunnnnn. What did I say? Well... what should I have said? And what is my real answer to the question?

What do I want to be when I grow up?

Settled. This is my dream. This is all I really want. I want to be settled. In every way. Mind, Soul, and Spirit. Life and the growing up that comes with it is really not about DO'ing or BE'coming anything. I can do or be (in the professional sense) anything I could ever care to do or be. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, ya know. With the talents and abilities that God has blessed me, I could become a doctor or accountant or a plain ol' office manager. Who cares? Life and the reward thereof is not about any sort of performance or accomplishment. I can travel or not - though I would most definitely prefer the former. As long as I'm settled in my identity as a daughter of God and my relationship with Him I will go or stay wherever He says. I will "be" whatever He leads me to "be" and "do" whatever He guides me to "do", but as long as I'm His and He travels this road with me, I'll be OK and perfectly content. That is all I want and all I could ever ask for. 

I want to be settled. I want the faith and unwavering trust in my Savior and Daddy that I won't ever feel unsure about anything. Of course, I may not have the answers for everything (or anything for that matter) but I will know that beyond a shadow of a doubt, "it's all good" because HE is only Good. Shabba.

To be settled. This is what I call rest for the mind, soul, and spirit, where I don't have to be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, I can present my requests to God, knowing full well that He holds me in the palm of His hand and He works all things together for the good of those who love Him. Which would be ME!! Yay. I'm covered. And in that, I can rest assured that God's got it.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment